Tomorrow night @ 7:00 p.m., Bill Harbeck of Holding on to Hope Ministries will give a presentation on sexual abuse and pornography. Here are a couple of reasons to check this out.
1. If you are a survivor of abuse or are addicted to internet pornography, this event provides very important resources and assistance.
2. If you aren't a survivor of abuse, it's almost certain that you know someone who is.
Justin Holcomb says,
The number of occurrences of sexual assaults is staggering. It affects millions of women, men, and children worldwide. The prevalence of sexual assault in the United States is difficult to determine because the crime is greatly under-reported, yet the statistics are still overwhelmingly high: 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men will be sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetime. These statistics are probably underestimates too.
3. Moreover, if you don't struggle with pornography, it's almost certain that you know someone who does. Here are some statistics from Covenant Eyes.
- Pornography is a $10 billion + dollar a year industry. It brings in more than the NFL, the NBA, and Major League Baseball combined.
- 67% of children admit to clearing their Internet history to hide their online activity
- 79% of accidental exposures to Internet porn among kids take place in the home
- 56% of divorce cases involve one party having an obsessive interest in online porn
- 29% of working adults accessed explicit websites on work computers
- More than 1 in 8 web searches are for erotic content.
All that to say, this event is relevant to everyone. These issues are pandemic. We need to be equipped to address them.